Monday, May 30, 2005

Dumb Database

I'm against ID cards. I think they're an infringement of my right to privacy.
But some people tell me "if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear".
It sounds sensible, and I understand why people say it, but is it really true?

Do you mind if the government wants to record every phone call you ever make?
Do you mind if the government wants to fit a CCTV camera in every room of your house?
Do you mind if every civil servant with a computer terminal has access to your medical records?
After all, if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear.

You might have nothing to hide, but I'm guessing you'd still feel very uncomfortable with any of the above. One of the three is about to become passed into law.

The NO2ID campaign is the first port of call if you'd like to register your discontent.
And if you think ID cards are a stupid idea, here's a pledge you can sign.

No comments: