Friday, March 25, 2005

Tory Idiots

I spend a lot of time blogging about the Labour Party, and Mr Blair in particular. This is because I don't think the Tories have any realistic chance of winning the next election. I'd rather everyone voted for the Liberal Democrats. I don't have any connection to the party but I've always voted for them, mostly because I think the FPTP system is not very clever. The Liberal Democrats support Proportional Representation and so do I. I know PR comes with it's own problems but can anyone honestly say that they are happy with the curent system? I'm not. So, I think that the only way to genuinely change the way UK politics operates is to vote LD. They aren't perfect; the Telegraph has a summary of the voting rights for prisoners issue, which Mr Kennedy botched badly. At least he's more consistent on the issue of Iraq, unlike the Tories rather bizarre position.

Labour's main pre-election tactic, so far, is to tell us that it would be a lot worse if the Conservatives won. I can't disagree with that. Just in case anyone was starting to doubt this, the Tories helpfully reminded us just how hopeless they are. I call the first witness, Mr Howard Flight. All I can do is laugh. Idiots.

I've been thinking about this today and I've thought of another explanation. Perhaps this is actually a very clever strategy. Blair keeps banging on about how bad the Tories are, and the Tories take the wind out of his sails by doing exactly the same thing. Blair can't say "Vote for me, you wouldn't want the Tories to be elected, would you?" because it's a ridiculous notion. "The Tories winning? Don't be stupid", people will say. The thought amused me, but in the end I don't think it's true. I actually do think they are idiots.

If you disagree, consider this:
Day 1. Tories unexpectedly win the 2005 election.
Day 2. Nothing gets done. Everyone is hungover after celebrating their surprise victory.
Day 3. The Conservative Party disintegrates because they still can't agree what to do about Europe.
Day 4. The end.
Renegotiate the terms of the UK's membership of the EU? Right, that'll be easy.
Idiots.

No comments: