Monday, March 14, 2005

Diary Post 4

I hate computers!
Yesterday I was feeling quite pleased with myself because I managed to get Trackback installed on my blog. It was pretty easy and once I read the instructions I managed to get it working. I even did a post with a link to another blog and sent a Trackback to the post on the other blog (see the next post down). I think I did this properly but I can't be sure. Anyway, I was feeling like I had learned a bit more and was making some progress in the wonderful world of computers.

This morning when I switched on my PC it doesn't want to connect to the internet. About 3 months ago I moved my PC from my flat to another house. I spend quite a lot of time here and, with permission, I use the broadband connection in the house for access to the internet. I use a wireless network card. I cancelled my own dial-up at the flat and got my BT phone line disconnected so this saves me quite a lot of money. A good thing all round. It is quicker and cheaper.

Today when I tried to connect I got a message saying I had limited connectivity because the IP address couldn't be renewed. I've had this problem once before and got someone else to sort it for me. He's not here at the moment so I'm stuck. I tried manually configuring the IP address but I really don't know enough about how it all works to know whether I am doing the right thing. According to my network connection thingy I am now connected but when I try and access the internet (with Firefox or Explorer) it just doesn't go anywhere. Aaaaaaaaaah! I'm posting this on the other PC in the house which is not mine and which I prefer not to use. At the moment I don't have any other option. If any kind and knowledgable person reads this and wants to help out please email me. I don't want to hate computers but this just doesn't make sense to me. It was working OK yesterday. What the flump is going on?
bhl_yoda AT postmaster.co.uk

I'm not sure that I've chosen the best day to try to quit smoking. I'm starting to think that my computer hates me. Why? Why today? I stuck my first patch on this morning and already I want to rip it off and light a fag. I'll try to resist.

No comments: