Saturday, March 19, 2005

Conratulations to Wales

I've just watched the rugby union game between Ireland and Wales. I just want to say Congratulations to Wales for winning the Grand Slam after 28 years.

As a Scotsman I know what is like to watch your team do badly and, very occasionally, to win something. It means a lot. I can still tell you where I was when Scotland won the Grand Slam in 1990. I was in an English bar in Holland with a few mates (one of whom had his bagpipes with him). A very good day it was, especially since the English supporters had been telling us just how badly we were going to get beaten right up until the point when their team lost. I'm not one of those people who automatically support "the other team" when England plays, I've even been known to watch and support the England cricket team when they are on TV. But that day in "The Bullseye Bar" (it's in a town called Assen, I'm not making this up) was just one of those brilliant days which I'll never forget.

So, well done the Welsh! I'd love to be down there to experience the atmosphere. Good luck next year. Unfortunately it doesn't look very likely that Scotland will be challenging for the Grand Slam anytime soon. I'm about to watch Scotland against England although given Scotland's recent performances, I'm not sure if I'll be watching the whole game. I'm not a masochist.
(This post is for A.S. You know who you are. Enjoy!)

No comments: