Thursday, March 31, 2005

Anne Begg is my MP

Anne Begg, Labour MP for Aberdeen South, is, as the title of this post suggests, my MP. She has her own website here. If you've read some of my other posts, you'll know what I think of Tony Blair, and you'll know that I don't want him to be Prime Minister after the election. To this end, I started to look up information about my Labour MP. I am a fan of Bloggerheads and had half a mind to set up a proxy weblog on behalf of my MP, even if only for the length of the general election campaign.

Now that I have researched the performance of my MP, I've realised that it wouldn't be fair. I looked up Anne Begg on They Work For You.com. It is a user friendly resource which gives history and performance data for all MP's. It's definitely worth a look if you want to find out about your own MP quickly and easily. I discovered that, although Anne is normally a loyal Labour voter in the House, she did vote against the invasion of Iraq and for an ammendment stating that the case for military action was unproven. With this in mind, I feel that I cannot set up a proxy weblog on behalf on Anne Begg.

I do think that MP's should keep their own weblogs, so I've emailed Anne and suggested that she might want to do just that. I also explained my own position and gave the address of this blog in case she wants to know more about me. I will continue to do as much as I can to reduce the Labour majority in the next parliament. Strategic Voter suggests that the Liberal Democrats are expected to win Aberdeen South at the election. For the sake of the country, I hope they are right. Anne Begg, perhaps undeservedly, may have to pay the price for belonging to a party led by a war happy Prime Minister.

No comments: