Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Aljazeera Online Confusion

I wrote this on the 27th March:
I've just been looking up information on the internet. I wanted to find out what Aljazeera had said about a particular story but I didn't have the web address. I did what anyone else would do, entered Aljazeera (actually Al Jazeera, I'm an ignorant westerner) into a search engine. It's not the first time I've done this but this time I noticed something odd; there seem to be two Aljazeera english websites. One is http://english.aljazeera.net and the other is http://www.aljazeera.com (I'm not sure I'd recommend this second one, read on first).

It's not that unusual so I presumed that they were two sites from the Aljazeera TV company. Now that I've had a closer look, I'm not so sure. Neither site appears to refer to the other and they seem to be based in different countries. Aljazeera.net looked the more likely candidate but I'm no expert. In times of confusion, I tend to refer back to a trusted source so I looked up the BBC website and found a story with a link to http://english.aljazeera.net
Now I can confidently say that this is the official site of the Aljazeera TV company.

I still don't know what the other site is. It could be a sister site to aljazeera.net or it could be something else. Now that I've thought about it I have a theory but I'll keep it to myself for the moment. I had linked to this other site in an early post but have just added an edit to reflect this earlier confusion and direct my imaginary reader to aljazeera.net instead.

Edit - I didn't publish it tomorrow, date changed, oops.

No comments: